Do you like the super cool DIY headboard my wife and I made? Totally posh right? Do people still say ‘posh’? Did they ever? Anyway, my wife found it on Pinterest and it looked super easy.
We bought some decent wood, cut it, stained it, finished it and command stripped them to the wall. (Quick fact: If you are doing a DIY project you command strip stuff instead of screwing or nailing.) Anyway, the boards spontaneously would launch off of the wall and smash into the bed (or the person in it). I slept the night upside down, stripped it back up the next morning (that’s about $40 in command strips now) and as I pulled away to go to work, all four boards came crashing down, waking the kids and the dog.
Pinterest didn’t say that this would happen. Maybe the Pinner bought the straightest, most high quality wood in the world and maybe they found some NASA command strips, because 4 x 16lbs command strips per board couldn’t do the job at my house.
Yes we all think it’s super cool to jump into that DIY project, its worth a few Facebook likes and definitely worth showing off at dinner parties if you’re vain.
Truth is, everyone who looks at your project knows its a DIY project without being told. Spare yourself some pain, before you decide to commit, ask yourself these questions:
- Is the total cost of all the stuff you have to buy at Lowes, Michael’s and Walmart six times as much as what you would pay for the product itself?
- Will the final project look “hand made” or just fucked up?
- Do you think you will gain a great deal of satisfaction from following the instructions on Pinterest or just a great deal of anger?
- Have you considered buying the same product (but better quality) at Target or on Amazon just for simple convenience? (It’s 2015, goods are readily available)
- Did you think about the fact that it will take 4-5 weeks to complete the project as opposed to 3 day prime shipping?
If you’ve answered honestly and still want to do the project, good on you…but my guess is you’re fooling yourself – you’re not fooling anyone else though.